These numbers represent the four-day holiday totals, so make a note in your personal logs.
1. The Possession - $21.3 million, which is not really all that great but still enough to give the film the second-biggest four-day opening ever for the holiday, just behind 2007's Halloween remake. Labor Day: when America's film standards are just as indifferently subpar as its work standards.
2. Lawless - $13 million. Perhaps the film would have fared better under one of its original titles, like The Wettest County in the World, or Transformer Guy and Batman Guy and Harry Potter Guy and Alice in Wonderland and Booze Fun Time.
3. The Expendables 2 - $11.2 million, dropping two spots from last week and continuing to lack behind the original, less-star-studded Expendables. But Chuck Norris has other, crazier things to worry about...
4. The Bourne Legacy - $9.4 million. (P.S.: There was still never just one. There was definitely always Jeremy Renner, okay? Stop questioning it.)
5. ParaNorman - $8.9 million, roundly besting the weekend's other wide release, The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure, which brought in only $601k for the entire four-day weekend, averaging just $278 in 2,160 theaters and asking the question: What the fuck are Oogieloves, anyway, and why have we granted them flight?
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]