What movies did people use to feed voracious Valentine's Day/Presidents' Day film appetites? These ones:
1. Valentine's Day - $52.4 million, narrowly beating Drinking Wine Alone in a Bubble Bath for most stereotypical way a sad lady could spend the weekend.
2. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief - $31.1 million. Not everyone was as excited as I was to see Pierce Brosnan in Warrior Hobo.
3. The Wolfman - $30.6 million, firmly establishing that wolfmen, like vampires, are still at their most popular when they're teenagers.
4. Avatar - $22 million. That's almost $660 million, for those of you with Avatar stock.
5. Dear John - $15.3 million. BUT IT'S SO ROMANTIC.
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]
Your weekend box office top five, presented this week by whatever banner ads you're avoiding:
1. Shutter Island - $40.2 million, proving Scorsese films fare best when their name hints they could be a reality series.
2. Valentine's Day - With the actual Valentine's Day now pas... / Continue →
Your new releases:
Director: Joe Johnston
Starring: Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt
Good if you want to see: a wolfman, obviously.
Director: Garry Marshall
Good if you want to see: so very, very many couples fallin... / Continue →
Your weekend box office numbers:
1. Shutter Island - $22.2 million. It's making enough money that, in a few years, it may be the #1 answer when Family Feud asks for a Scorsese film.
2. Cop Out - $18.6 million, not enough to take first place but enough to surely turn a profit ... / Continue →