1. The Golden Compass - A disappointing $26.1 million weekend proves it takes more than Nicole Kidman, epic battles, and armored CGI polar bear fights to bring in audiences. It also takes a giant robot polar bear that totally eats the shit out of every other polar bear.
2. Enchanted - I can't figure out why America paid $10.7 million to see a fairy tale princess in the real world when we've already had one. Rest in peace, Diana!
3. This Christmas - Why talk about the $5 million weekend gross when Chris Brown could sing about it?
4. Fred Claus - $4.7 million worth of recommendations to not see Fred Claus.
5. Beowulf - After taking in another $4.4 million, what's next for Beowulf? Answer: NEOwulf!
Honorable Mention: Juno only made $420,000, but it only played on seven screens, so that's nutso.
Weekend Box Office Results [Box Office Mojo]
1. Enchanted - Audiences are enchanted by Enchanted, making it the number one comedy in America for two straight weeks! I assume that's what the commercials will be saying all this week, and every week (with updated week counts), until something even blander comes along to take... / Continue →
1. Enchanted - Weren't Elf, Crocodile Dundee, Jungle 2 Jungle, and whatever similar movies I'm forgetting enough to satiate the public desire for the out-of-place-wacko-in-New-York genre? The $35.3 million Enchanted made says not quite.
2. This Christmas - Audiences paid $18.6... / Continue →
1. I Am Legend - A massive budget, computer effects, and the Fresh Prince are always a surefire hit, bringing in $76.5 million. Now if someone could only explain why.
2. Alvin and the Chipmunks - With a $45 million weekend, it's finally the definitive proof that there is no Go... / Continue →